Saturday, December 30, 2017

The 13 Gold Coins Ceremony

(Spanish Tradition - following the exchange of rings)
The groom’s mother will hold the coins and bring them to the minister, upon request.

Minister: The symbolism of the 13 gold coins in this ceremony is that the groom recognizes his responsibility as a provider, and pledges his ability to support and care for his bride. Acceptance of the 13 coins by the bride means accepting that trust with confidence and total dedication.

Minister: Thirteen gold coins will now be counted out to the groom. As I place the coins in the groom’s hands, they represent different values that the couple desires to share between themselves as part of their lives together.
(Minister recites the 13 values listed below - one-by-one - while placing each coin individually into the groom’s open hands):
1.      Love
2.      Commitment
3.      Trust
4.      Respect
5.      Joy
6.      Happiness
7.      Peace
8.      Harmony
9.      Cooperation
10.  Caring
11.  Nurturing
12.  Wisdom and;
13.  Wholeness

May these coins be a symbol of this couple's unconditional love, and mutual trust and respect for one another.

Minister to the Groom: Groom, please repeat after me.

Groom: I, Groom, give you Bride, these coins, as a symbol of my unquestionable trust and confidence I place in you as my beloved wife. As we unite our lives as one today, I give myself, and all that I have, with unconditional love for you, from this moment on.

Minister to the Bride: Bride, please repeat after me.

Bride: I, Bride, accept these coins and assure you, Groom, of my loyal dedication and commitment to you, as my husband. As we unite our lives as one today, I share all that I am, and all that I have, with unconditional love for you, from this moment on.

Minister: In exchanging these coins, Groom and Bride are essentially saying, "what's mine is yours and what's yours is mine". These coins are also symbolic of the positivity and infinite good that the universe has in store for this loving couple.

When selfishness shows itself, grant generosity;
When mistrust is a temptation, give moral strength;
When there is misunderstanding, give patience and gentleness; and
If suffering becomes a part of their lives, give them strength and an abiding love to carry them through.
May the covenant of their union be filled with unconditional love, true devotion, and lifelong commitment to one another from this moment on.

And, so it is.

Popular Posts